Add Reply
New Poll

"Don't Dream It's Over" - Layton & Fenric, A cross-post CD for IYH and XWA
DJS
 Posted: Jan 1 2018, 06:43 AM

Advanced Member
Group: Members

user posted image

The night is only young, but already the world is being lit with big, bold and bright flashes in the sky.

Many countries are celebrating at different times, but one is ahead of all of us. Yes, on this New Years Eve, bars across the world are filled. Beer is being swigged and spilled...but we're not going to a bar. We're going somewhere all the quieter and more tranquil...apart from the music that's playing.

Inside a rather swish-looking apartment complex at the heart of Melbourne. Our attention specifically is one one apartment in particular- rather big and swish-looking and crawling with people tonight. People and balloons. And alcohol, obviously. Stood in the very middle balancing conversation and a glass of wine is a short, brown-haired girl. She's quite skinny- clearly she does some workout, but perhaps not as much as she used to. Bit like this, actually. Her name is Chelsea Ray, and she's the host of this New Years party. Suddenly, in the midst of all the people and the music playing- currently "Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac- she hears a knock at her door. Pushing her way through everyone, she finds her way to the door.

CHELSEA RAY:
Hold on! Hold on a sec!

She says in her Southern English voice with a twang of Aussie attached to it, as she opens the door, greeted by a gaggle of people. Dontel Porter, Jason Moana, XWA interviewer Laura Stark, A.J. Morales and Emery Layton, all with huge, cheesy grins on their faces.

ALL:
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Chelsea looks to Emery, who maintains the cheese.

CHELSEA RAY:
You said you were bringing your boyfriend. I didn't expect this.

Em snorts and barges in, patting Chelsea on the shoulder as she drags a bottle of rum in with her.

EMERY LAYTON:
Ahhh, the more the merrier, eh Chels? What's a new year party without a loada people you don't know to chat with, yeah? Plus, the place is busy already, why not more?

CHELSEA RAY:
Fair enough. At least introduce us, though!

EMERY LAYTON:
Oh yeah, yeah, course. So, Chels, this is Jason and Dontel, they're a tag team...

Hyphy Machinery give a nod of approval in unison.

EMERY LAYTON (Cont'd):
...this is Laura Stark. Her boyfriend's a bit under the weather so I asked her to come along...

Timid Laura follows this up awkward wave as Em throws her arm around A.J, proudly.

EMERY LAYTON (Cont'd):
....And this is A.J. He's my guy! He's the best guy! I told you about him!

Chelsea looks him and down. She clocks the blonde streak instantly...then looks at Emery, with a side-smile. Em maintains the stare.

CHELSEA RAY:
...Yeah, with a streak like that he's really your type, Em.

Em's quiet for a moment, awkwardly smiling as A.J. looks at her, quizzically. Yeah...there's more to this, and he knows it. But not wanting to draw attention, he speaks.

A.J. MORALES:
So...er, how do you guys know each other, anyway?

CHELSEA RAY:
Emery and I used to travel together. Long time ago, before I retired. We met in England when she asked to borrow some gear from me because she left her bag in a toilet at a McDonalds. Knew she was gonna be a task to deal with. She started a punch-up between two Scots in Glasgow, y'know.

EMERY LAYTON:
You're remembering it wrong. I got into a punch-up WITH two Scots. They spilled my drink. We were all bladdered. I wasn't pleased.

CHELSEA RAY:
No no, I remember it. It was December. You got up on a table and declared yourself champion of Christmas and tried to get everyone in a rousing sing-along of Fairy Tale of New York but you didn't know the lyrics so you got down. And then you fell into a bin.

EMERY LAYTON:
No one knows the lyrics, though. It's a load of bollocks.

CHELSEA RAY:
I don't think your accent helps.

EMERY LAYTON:
Oh just cos I don't sound like I fell out the arse of Oxford Uni like you.

CHELSEA RAY:
At least we're not American though!

EMERY LAYTON:
Oi! I got friends who are American. Step down.

CHELSEA RAY:
That's cos you know everyone, though. Dunno how you do it.

EMERY LAYTON:
It's a talent.

Chelsea looks behind Em, looking over the shoulders of Jason and Dontel.

CHELSEA RAY:
No Adam, then?

EMERY LAYTON:
He doesn't really like this sorta stuff.

Chelsea tuts, disappointed.

CHELSEA RAY:
Shame. I was gonna put all this wine down him then who knows what would've happened.

A.J. MORALES:
Wait...Adam Fenric, that's who we mean here, right?

Em leans in, lowering her voice.

EMERY LAYTON:
She's seen a few IYH shows. She's met Adam a few times when we've been up here and she's got a bit of a crush on him.

A.J. MORALES:
Oh God.

CHELSEA RAY:
He's smart. I like that. Gonna happen one day, though. He'll come round to my charms. So anyway, heard you two had a match in town earlier tonight...

A few hours have passed. And many, many glasses of wine. And rum too, obviously. We're not long until the New Year of 2018 rings in. Everyone's mingling, some even getting a little friendly with each other and other absolutely avoiding getting friendly with one another at all. In the middle of the room, on big, cream couch sits Emery and Chelsea, who we join mid conversation, in fits of laughter.

EMERY LAYTON:
...And so I'm there in the kayak like 'what's so bad about this anyway? Why do the police even care?', but then I look up and I see a sign saying 'Lincoln Memorial Pool'!

CHELSEA RAY:
Oh my God! How'd you get outta that one?

EMERY LAYTON:
I can't really remember! So much stuff happens these days, I try not to think about it. Not even told you about how I won a title in a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

CHELSEA RAY:
Okay, now you're just taking the piss.

EMERY LAYTON:
Wish I was. This has been a weird year.

CHELSEA RAY:
And Supreme XWA Champion now, too!

EMERY LAYTON:
Man. Think of who we used to be. If those kids could see us now...

CHELSEA RAY:
See what? I quit, Em!

EMERY LAYTON:
Yeah but you live here and besides, you could still do it! You could be out there delivering the Chelsea Dagger all over again!

CHELSEA RAY:
God what a lame finisher. It was only a DDT, too. Nah, people leave and come back to this business all the time. I'm enjoying not being sore all the time.

Chelsea and Em are silent. But its not an awkward one. It's the sort of silence two friends can have. A calmness. Well, until...

CHELSEA RAY:
So...you keep up with anyone else from the old group?

EMERY LAYTON:
I dunno. Christina and I talk a lot, she's a tag champ now in Seattle. Serena's...well...

CHELSEA RAY:
I know about Serena. She ran off and joined that arsehole's group, right?

EMERY LAYTON:
Basically. It's a long story.

CHELSEA RAY:
Yeah. Hear he's gone now, though. Good riddance. One less psychopath in the sea.

Now they're quiet again. But this time it's not the calmness. It's the quiet of two people who both want to ask the same thing, and yet don't.

CHELSEA RAY:
Is-

EMERY LAYTON:
Are-

CHELSEA RAY:
Oh. You first.

EMERY LAYTON:
Nah, you go.

CHELSEA RAY:
I was just gonna ask...any sign of Yasuko, yet?

EMERY LAYTON:
Chels, I--

CHELSEA RAY:
Because I have a number, I just dunno if it's still the same one. I keep trying and it's nothing but her answer phone's still accepting messages so the number's active it's just--

EMERY LAYTON:
Chelsea.

CHELSEA RAY:
--And I thought if anyone would know where she was, it'd be you.

Em wipes her brow.

EMERY LAYTON:
If I knew where she was she'd be here right now, Chelsea. But she's not. Face it- she left the business. She never said why. We don't gotta know more than that, do we? Besides, when would I get the time to go looking? I spend so much time travelling.

CHELSEA RAY:
Come on. You can't seriously believe that.

Em leans in, and the two begin to talk in hushed tones.

EMERY LAYTON:
Can...can we not do this? I'm here, I'm having a good time. We're all having a good time. I ain't thought about Yasu--that person in over a year.

CHELSEA RAY:
Y'know, I'd believe that if you weren't parading round in her beanie on every show I ever see you at.

EMERY LAYTON:
No one knows where she is and she don't want us to know, clearly. So lets move on, yeah? Let's move on.

Chelsea curls her lip.

CHELSEA RAY:
Okay, we'll move on. So long as you answer me this question...is the blonde streak deliberate or by accident?

And this. Just...this. Whatever this means, it reduces Emery to a state of total and utter berevement. Chelsea looks down with instant regret. She knows she just crossed a line.

CHELSEA RAY:
I'm sorry.

EMERY LAYTON:
No. Don't be. It's not, by the way...listen, I'm gonna get some air, yeah? Back in a bit.

Emery rises from the couch and walks off, leaving Chelsea alone.

"Three! Two! One!"

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Fifteen minutes pass as we reach 2018. Fireworks-a-Plenty and Auld Lang Syne for all! Stood out on a balcony, Emery- who has now removed her hat and it fiddling with it in her hand- leans over. She's looking down. It's only now she realises just how high up she is, as she looks down at everyone on the ground. So small. So far away from her. They wouldn't hear her if she tried to speak. She looks up, at the fireworks. The sky is changing colour every second. It's hard to predict what colour comes next. As she's mesmerised by it all, she nearly jumps out of her skin as she hears a voice behind her-

???:
It's like the world is trying to out-noise each other, isn't it?

She turns. Stood there, in a suit, is Adam Fenric. Despite their battle in the Showgrounds earlier tonight, he is looking quite clean.

EMERY LAYTON:
Oh. Hey! I didn't know you were coming...

ADAM FENRIC:
I wasn't. But Isabella wanted to come. Spending time with others outside our family seems to have had an effect on her. I feel after everything that has happened, my sister should be afforded some level of normality.

EMERY LAYTON:
Huh. Cool. How's your neck?

ADAM FENRIC:
Workable. Your arm?

EMERY LAYTON:
Eh, I've had worse.

ADAM FENRIC:
I'm sure.

EMERY LAYTON:
Man...what a year, eh?

ADAM FENRIC:
Are you aware that it has been exactly a year since our first meeting?

EMERY LAYTON:
I busted my lip open fighting your brothers and your other Bridgett Neilssen-looking sister. You took a look at it.

ADAM FENRIC:
Indeed It took splitting from my immediate family to lead me to you. We've teamed ever since. Were I a sentimental person, I suppose this would be somewhat of a landmark night for our team.

EMERY LAYTON:
Bollocks, fella! You dedicated your career to avenging your Da. You're the most sentimental person I've ever met.

ADAM FENRIC:
Well in that case, happy anniversary.

Emery looks up, as does Adam. They watch the fireworks, side by side.

EMERY LAYTON:
Look...er...I should probably say. Like, I know we lost the XWA Tag Team titles cos of me this year and with me being Supreme XWA Champion now, it's...I dunno when we're gonna get our next opportunity.

Adam shakes his head and waves his hand.

ADAM FENRIC:
Time enough.

EMERY LAYTON:
Oh. Good.

ADAM FENRIC:
You can make it up to me by helping me win the IYH Tag Team titles instead. Our battles with the Survivors and the Bad Omens have caused our focus to slip. We have taken our eye off the ball. Lets get back to what we set out to do.

EMERY LAYTON:
Hey, I'm game for that.

ADAM FENRIC:
I anticipated you would. I've been researching our opponents in preparation for the new year. I've some interesting observations on a few of our esteemed colleagues.

EMERY LAYTON:
Seriously, is that what you do when you're not wrestling? Been a month, dude.

ADAM FENRIC:
I detect you are somewhat agitated.

EMERY LAYTON:
What, me? Naah. I'm cool.

ADAM FENRIC:
Lying is not your strongest skill. Seeing things through is. Whatever is troubling you, rectify it.

EMERY LAYTON:
Worried I'm gonna get in your way again, eh?

ADAM FENRIC:
As long as something continues to agitate you, you have lost the battle. Don't lose battles you know you can win.

Inside the apartment, the music has started up again, presumably because everyone's got sick of old acquintance being forgot. Instead, "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House bursts to life from the sound system.

EMERY LAYTON:
Hey, you sticking around for a bit? We should just get a drink and...y'know, chat.

ADAM FENRIC:
I only came to drop Isabella off. I have arranged with Laura to take her back to Chicago. I have work to do.

EMERY LAYTON:
I'll get you one of these days.

ADAM FENRIC:
Also I have deliberately avoided all contact with Chelsea since my arrival and would prefer she does not know I am here.

EMERY LAYTON:
You heartbreaker. Go on then. She's had a few drinks already. She might look small but you try taking a Lou Thesz press from her.

ADAM FENRIC:
I'd prefer not to. We'll speak again soon.

EMERY LAYTON:
Yeah, sure. Thanks, by the way.

Adam doesn't acknowledge this. He simply turns and briskly walks through the crowd of partying people inside the house. Until he's stopped...by Laura Stark.

LAURA STARK:
Hey Adam.

ADAM FENRIC:
Evening. Is Austin also here?

LAURA STARK:
No. About that, actually...I wanna talk to you about something...

Outside, on the balcony, Emery holds her phone. She looks down at the screen, judging. Wondering. Should she? Shouldn't she? The number's right there. Her face is right there, looking back at her.

*Click*

EMERY LAYTON:
Hey. It's me. Happy new year. Lemme know when you get this, yeah? Don't even know if this is still your number. Probably isn't. Listen...I dunno where you are right now and I guess that's cos you want it that way. Or maybe you don't, and we've all been crappy friends. Either way...I'm gonna see you again. Promise. It's been too long.

A.J. MORALES:
Hey Em...

Em clicks the phone off and her head's up like a meerkat, as A.J stares back at her.

A.J. MORALES:
What are you doing out here? Come join the rest of us!

EMERY LAYTON:
I just needed some air. Nevermind me, what's going on with you lot? I been away too long!

And off she goes, back into the apartment.

There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch a deluge in a paper cup

...But Emery's left her phone on a table right next to the balcony. It's not been locked and the screen's not gone off yet.

There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road while you're traveling with me

Walking out in Melbourne streets, Adam Fenric passes drunks and people celebrating a brand new year. The Futurist walks with brand new purpose, a better man than he was a year ago. Plague Doctor no more.

Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now, when the world comes in

But as we end, we close in on Emery's phone. The Crowded House continue on as we see three things.

A number.

A picture.

A name-
Yasuko.

The image fades out and the phone locks, but we fade out also.

The new year begins.

--------------------
user posted image
Like match-writing? Community-driven storylines and angles? Complete creative control over your character? We do too. Wrestle Your Way at http://www.xwabattlezone.com
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by alyssa of sp & www & shine