Add Reply
New Poll

Before The Fall (Pt.2), Kelsey's Stroke of Genius
Rebecca Saint
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 09:50 AM

Group: Members

“This is still kinda tricky,” Kelsey announces as she runs on the treadmill. She’s still getting used to the packed on weight that she’s carrying, thanks to Harley Saint’s innovative weighted clothing technology. Factoring in the suit and arm bands, she weighs north of 100 kilograms, and it’s almost guaranteed she’ll make gains - if her body holds out long enough to take the added strain, that is.

Over the other side of the room, Rebecca’s not fairing much better with the new challenges these suits are bringing. Both ladies have doubled their weight, and are pushing their bodies well beyond their physical limits. With memories of their previous Tag Team Title shot still fresh in their minds, they’re determined to rectify their loss and prove that they’re worthy of the elusive championship. They’ve set a personal challenge for themselves - do or die. If they can’t capture the IYH Tag Team Titles at The Fall in less than a week, they’ll leave IYHWF forever. The pressure is on as time ticks away.

“Be careful not to throw your back out,” Kelsey calls out as she climbs off the treadmill, noticing Rebecca performing squats. Kelsey’s right to be concerned, as they only added the extra 15 kilos the day before, but Rebecca’s in complete control of her movements and knows what her body can and cannot do. Satisfied with the sweat she’s worked up, Rebecca exhales deeply and joins Kelsey for a hydration break. “You okay, Bec?”

“It’s definitely going to take some getting used to,” a breathless Rebecca confesses, taking a sip from her water. “How about yourself? Are you doing alright?”

“I think so…” The young blonde stretches her arms out, growing accustom to the bands. She lifts and lowers the 10kg weight strapped to her right wrist with a pleased smile on her face. “I never woulda thought that adding weight could make the easiest exercises so much harder.”

“We should be used to this change before long. We have been training with weighted clothing for a couple of weeks already, mind you. We can start practicing moves and preparing a strategy later, but I would say now’s a great time to take a break, wouldn’t you?”

“I guess…” It’s plain to see from Kelsey’s tone that she’s not satisfied with the work she’s put in so far today, believing she can do much more. Rebecca’s quick to remind the hasty Kelsey that she’s getting ahead of herself.

“Physical preparation is only half the battle; you have to prepare yourself mentally to face your opponents as well, remember?” It’s a very important part of the process that they both seem to forget all too often: studying your opponents for weaknesses you can exploit, situations in which you can take advantage. Kelsey is especially guilty of this, preferring to rush in like a bull at a gate rather than devise an effective strategy. Vincent Moretti, the manager of former Proving Grounds Champion Seth Iser, spent a considerable amount of time teaching them what to look for when studying their competition. The time’s come for them to put that knowledge into practice.

Rebecca turns her back to her friend, and motions toward the living area. “Come on, let’s take it easy for a while and watch some tape. We might learn something new.”

Rebecca kicks back on the couch and Kelsey sprawls out on the floor watching match after match, promo after promo, trying to learn all they can about their opponents. Repeats aren’t off the table, either - important pieces of information are easy to skip over, if you’re not paying close enough attention the first time around.

“I’ve noticed something,” Kelsey pipes up, interrupting their viewing of Jetpack versus Murphy’s Law from March’s Ground ‘n Pound Supershow.

“What’s that?” Rebecca questions, peering over her glasses.

“All these teams… They’re made up of members who’ve been teammates and that’s it; I mean, they have their back stories and stuff of how they became a tag team, but none of them have the kinda past we do. We were partners, then bitter enemies, now we’re partners again… It’s like we’re closer because we tried to destroy each other, if that makes sense..?”

A young Kelsey Spencer (then known to wrestling fans as Blue Thunder) met a very young Becky Saint when the two faced each other on an episode of FBW Unbreakable, way back in December 2010. Noticing the pair had potential, FBW President Heath Williams encouraged them to work shows together as a tag team - Becky Saint would later adopt the moniker “Red Lightning” to compliment her partner’s ring name, and the plucky upstarts would go on to have a relatively successful run as a tag team across Australia and New Zealand for the next few years up until Kelsey’s injury.

The two engaged in a rivalry over the DUW Women’s Title in 2014 following Kelsey’s return, with both ladies going by their current ringnames. The feud carried through into 2015, which led to them eventually reuniting and travelling to the United States to become the Bellis Street Socialites; the original incarnation of their current pairing. When the BSS dissolved, Rebecca broke out to lead the Saint City cult, vowing revenge on Kelsey for “betraying” her.

The rivalry became deeply personal, with Rebecca desecrating Kelsey’s grandfather’s grave and beating her mother senseless. It became so heated, in fact, that the pair went all-out in a bloodbath of a match that almost resulted in both of their careers coming to an end. Kelsey, being the overly forgiving person she is, reached out to Rebecca months after these events when she heard she was in trouble. Many would see this trait as a detriment, but it led to Rebecca Saint actually becoming one of her strongest allies! A series of events led to them getting the band back together - this time, as the fan favourite Uncanny Socialites.

Not many friendly pairings have a history quite like theirs - and even fewer tag teams do.

“You’re certainly not wrong there. But that could be a problem rather than an advantage. We are both incredibly stubborn, perhaps that’s what has held us back all this time.”

“Maybe… But it’s who we are,” Kelsey claims, bringing herself to a seated position on the rug. “I think we’re watching these matches, trying to figure out how we can be more like Murphy’s Law, more like Jetpack… That’s not right, we shouldn’t try to be something we’re not. We’re so different; unique. That’s gotta count for something.”

“You have a point,” Rebecca nods. “We may look the part on the surface, but we are not a conventional tag team, nor will we ever be. We need to figure out how to best make that work to our advantage.”

Rebecca and Kelsey have proven they can work effectively as a cohesive unit, working a conventional tag team style of wrestling against the likes of State of Anarchy and Modern Day Heroes. However, in addition, they have shown they can also work an unorthodox style, as demonstrated in their encounter with Layton & Fenric this past episode of Ruckus.

Kelsey pushes herself to her feet, dusting herself off as she does. With Day 2 of their intensive training drawing to a close, they’ve adjusted well enough to their 60kg suits to move around comfortably enough. “We should get back in the ring,” she suggests. “We’re not gonna work it out just sitting here.”

Rebecca agrees, and in a matter of moments, they’re in the ring to put some ideas into practice. Locked in a test of strength, though she’s slightly smaller than her partner, Kelsey’s able to inch Rebecca back toward the ropes behind her. Just as she’s about to lose the struggle, Rebecca’s competitive side kicks in - she breaks out of the collar-and-elbow, and swings for Kelsey with her devastating elbow strike. Kelsey’s cat-like reflexes kick in a micro-second too late, and she takes a shot to the forehead, falling flat on her behind.

Rebecca’s eyes widen as she realises what she’s done. “Kelsey!” she calls out with concern, rushing to check on her friend.

“I’m okay, I think you just grazed me,” Kelsey assures her with a groan, rubbing her forehead. Rebecca breathes a sigh of relief as she inspects her own elbow and forearm. “But man, you’re getting fast! If I wasn’t paying attention, you mighta taken my head off! Just imagine how fast you're gonna be when we take the weights off! We're sure to win!”

Rebecca’s adamant. “No, not with that move,” she disagrees with Kelsey’s claims.

“Huh? What’re you talking about? That’s your best one!”

“They’ve seen it too many times,” Rebecca explains, glancing down at the seated Spencer. “Remember what Moretti taught us? Study your opponent’s movements. Learn their habits… I’m sure they’re doing the same thing. I can assure you Fenric's sitting down right now, analysing every possible set-up I have for Saint-Hearted. And they are doing the same to figure out when you’re getting ready for the Blue Thunder Bomb, before you can even get into position.”

“Oh, darn… what do we do about that?” a slightly-disheartened Kelsey questions, watching her partner take a seat on the canvas opposite her. Rebecca sits with her eyes closed, arms and legs folded.

“That, I am not sure of. We need to find a way to change our behaviour in the ring… In a way that still feels natural, but also different enough that our opponents can’t read our movements.”

After an extended moment of silence, Kelsey snaps her fingers, an idea for a solution popping right into her brain.

“Hey! What if we swapped styles?” Rebecca’s head raises slightly with intrigue at the suggestion, and Kelsey elaborates. “What if you wrestle with more technical moves, and I throw a lot more strikes? We’ve spent enough time fighting with and against each other - we pretty much know what each other’s thinking in the ring. And, I mean… the way you throw a clothesline’s different from how I do, so I’m sure it won’t be too easy for them to figure us out.”

“Kelsey! You are a genius!

“I am..?”

“Yes! That plan is perfect!” Rebecca slaps her own knee and launches herself to her feet, the suit practically a part of her body at this stage. “But we are going to need to practice to pull a trick like this off effectively.”

“How’re we gonna do that?” Kelsey quizzes, rising to her feet to stand with her partner.

“You need to mimic me in every sense,” she explains her plan. “And, as much as the very idea makes me sick to my stomach, I need to mimic you. Tomorrow, we will act like each other the entire day… Not just our moves, but also our diets, our mannerisms… Everything. Are you up for it?”

“Gosh… I mean, I guess I could try it. It sounds a bit tricky, though…”

“Tell me about it… Alright, let’s start with the basics. Walk me through a typical day in the life of Kelsey Spencer... How do you start your day? What do you do when you wake up?”

Kelsey purses her lips, directing her eyes to the high ceiling above them as she escapes into her thoughts. “Well, the first thing I do is have a nice big stretch,” she states, instinctively reenacting the motion. “Then, I say good morning to the birds, the trees and every other little critter outside my window. Oh, and I thank the sun for coming up and think about what a great day it’s gonna be!”

A large smile sweeps her face, and she lowers her gaze to meet her partner’s - Rebecca’s not so thrilled by the sound of her morning ritual. She cringes at the details, her expression telling a story of reluctance and even a slight hint of regret.

“Everything okay?” Kelsey questions with a modest tilt of the head.

“Yes, I have just never known anyone to do all of that.”

“What do you do to get ready for the day, Rebecca?”

“Coffee,” Rebecca candidly responds. “A lot of coffee.”

“Oh…” Kelsey’s never been the biggest coffee advocate. Sure, she’s been known to enjoy a mochaccino now and then, but more often than not the bitter taste coffee harbours has been a deterrent. “What kinda coffee do you have?”

“Black.” When Kelsey doesn’t react, Rebecca takes it as a cue to continue her explanation. “No milk, no sugar, no cream… Just coffee beans and hot water.”

“Eww, yucky!” Kelsey screws her face up at the thought of it. All those things are what makes coffee bearable!

“That’s not the worst of what you’ll have to drink if you’re living my life for a day. I often enjoy a nice glass of red wine late in the evening.”

“What? Wine?!” Kelsey’s quick to reject the idea, memories of her tasting the beverage during a night out with Rebecca still fresh in her mind. “That’s the worst thing I’ve ever tasted! Worse than vegetables! No way am I ever gonna drink that again!”

“If I can spend my morning speaking to tiny little lizards, you can suck it up and have a glass of wine,” Rebecca hisses.

With only five days to go until the big Gauntlet Match, will the girls' experiment prove to be effective? Can they find a perfect blend of each other's movesets and their own?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by alyssa of sp & www & shine